After my post yesterday, I was asked how could the “normal, average person” be inspirational? The most common question I received was “How can I be an inspiration to myself?” My question is “How can you not be, if you make that choice?”
For me being inspirational is not necessarily doing those extraordinary things once in a while. Rather it is in the day to day activities, words spoken and actions undertaken on an everyday basis.
To be inspirational there are a few points which I think are essential:
- Carry yourself like a winner. Be proud, walk tall, look people in the eye. Think of someone that you admire. Most of these people have an attitude of caring, have a smile on their faces, speak directly to people. They take on tasks eagerly and cheerfully without complaining and moaning about how hard their lives are.
- Take pride in your everyday tasks. You can’t expect people to care about what you do unless you care. Doing things because you think you should is very different from doing things because you genuinely care and have pride in your achievements
- Take responsibility for your own life. Rather than believing that every bad thing that has happened in your life is in response to the actions or behaviors of others, step up and take ownership for the decisions and reactions you have taken in the situation. This is not blame or a guilt trip for you, but rather realizing that you can turn around any situation by thinking and acting differently
- Do something you wouldn’t normally do, or something most people don’t do. if you are wanting to become an inspiration to others and yourself and currently don’t feel that way, you will just have to do things you don’t normally do. Nothing will change unless you change. It really is that simple. What can you do today, that you don’t normally do that will inspire yourself?
- Be aware and take action. Be willing to help others with kindness and compassion. This may be as simple as helping an elderly person navigate their shopping trolley to the parking lot when they are struggling with it. Something small, but oh so, inspiring.
- Be accepting of others viewpoints. This doesn’t mean you have to be passive and agree with everything others believe, but be ready to accept their lifestyles, choices and decisions even if you would not make those choices for yourself.
- Have courage to take new actions and make new decisions. Feel the fear and do it anyway. This is what bravery is about, and it is very inspiring to do something you have been previously afraid to try. It matters not whether you succeed, it is the genuine attempt to succeed which is important.
I would love to hear about some of your inspirational actions and behaviors. Please share and inspire us all.