One of my friends, some-one usually very upbeat and happy, said to me the other day “It’s not always easy to be positive”. This was from someone who lights up the room when she enters, is the life of the party and is always there to lend a hand to someone in need.
Having a positive outlook on life doesn’t mean that your life is perfect, and nothing ever goes wrong. “Stuff” happens to us all – we all are capable of feeling negatively towards an event, saying a harsh word in anger, being envious of a situation or just feeling a bit down on occasions.
This doesn’t automatically make us a negative person – it makes us human. The difference between occasionally feeling this way and usually feeling like this, is the difference.
How many people do you know that always find something wrong in any situation – the weather is too hot, or too cold, their neighbors are rude or too intrusive, their partner doesn’t show any love or are too controlling, their children don’t do as they are told or always expect things, they always seem to get sick, have no money, have people take advantage of them…..the list goes on and on….and on.
However, this post is not referring to Energy Vampires, but to the person who occasionally feels anything less than positive. This can be especially difficult when people have undertaken Personal Development Courses and feel that they shouldn’t be putting out negative thoughts and then feel guilty when they don’t radiate positivity continuously. A bit of a vicious cycle really!
So, what do you do when you feel less than positive?
- Firstly accept that you are experiencing these feelings. Don’t try and fight it or give out false words and expressions.
- Look at why you are feeling this way – is there something you can do about the situation or person or is it out of your control?
- If there is something you can do – maybe you are feeling a bit down – you don’t know why, but you feel things aren’t quite right…stop and ask yourself “What can I do right now to change this?” Maybe you could go for a 30 minute walk – instead of focusing on how you are feeling, take notice of your surroundings, focus all your attention on where you are walking, enjoy the moment.
- Write down your thoughts – don’t try and filter the words with positivity – write it the way you feel it. Simply expressing your feelings into words may be all it takes. Most importantly burn this writing after you have let it all go. Don’t go back and read and re-read all the words you have written – this can reinforce your negative thoughts.
- Take notice of your words and who you are speaking with. If you surround yourself with negative people continuously, you may find yourself following their patterns. (Refer to my previous posts on Energy Vampires and Am I An Energy Vampire?)
If you occasionally have negative feelings when you usually look at the bright side of your life, what is the message? What can you do about this message…and most importantly What Will You DO about the situation? This “doing” may just be an acceptance of decisions you have made and moving on from these decisions.
Whatever the cause, “Sometimes it is Just Not Easy Being Positive”…but then again, what in life worth doing is ever easy……..Food For Thought